Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Thatcham

The large village of Thatcham lies three miles east of Newbury. The parish included the chapelries of Greenham and Midgham, the village of Cold Ash, and the hamlets of Colthrop, Crookham and Henwick. It is on the main road from London to Bath, and intersected by the Rivers Kennet and Lambourn and the Kennet and Avon Canal. The soil is alluvium and clay. About one third of the land was arable, one third permanent pasture, and a tenth woodland. There was once a market (discontinued by the seventeenth century). There were two fairs annually.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) pp.162-165.


Acreage: 11866
Population 1801: 2968
  1831: 3912
  1861: 4129

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 35, 43

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Thatcham (1814 (Midgham)) - Ref: Q/RDC/10A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1814 (Midgham)) - Ref: Q/RDC/10B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1817 (Henwick & Calthorpe)) - Ref: D/P130/26/1A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1817 (Henwick & Calthorpe)) - Ref: D/P130/26/1B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1845 (Greenham)) - Ref: Q/RDC/74A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1845 (Greenham)) - Ref: Q/RDC/74B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1852) - Ref: Q/RDC/95A [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Thatcham (1852) - Ref: Q/RDC/95B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 19/12/2014.