West (or Great) Shefford lies five and a half miles northeast of Hungerford. The parish included the hamlet of Shefford Woodlands. It is on the the Rivers Lambourn and Kennet, and at the junction of the main roads from Hungerford to Wantage and from Newbury to Lambourn. The soil is chalk. Almost nine tenths of the land was arable, with very small amounts of permanent grass and woodland.
Wordie, R. (ed.), 'Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885' (Reading, 2000) p.132.
OS Map Grid Ref(s): 25, 26, 33, 34