Header Graphic

Place-name search - details

Cumnor

Cumnor lies five miles northwest of Abingdon. The parish included the village and chapelry of Wootton, the hamlet of Boarshill and part of the small village of Botley. It is just off the main road from Faringdon to Oxford and the River Thames forms the western boundary. The soil is mainly clay, sand and limestone. Approximately one third was arable and just under one tenth woodland.

Further reading
Wordie, R. (ed.), ‘Enclosure In Berkshire, 1485-1885’ (Reading, 2000) pp.53-55.


Acreage: 9053
Population 1801: 702
  1831: 1024
  1861: 1021

 

OS Map Grid Ref(s): 1, 2, 5, 6

 

Parliamentary Enclosure Maps & Awards

Cumnor (1777 (North Hinksey)) - Ref: QSD/A F14 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Cumnor (1796 (Wootton & Boarshill)) - Ref: D/P157/26B [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Cumnor (1796 (Wootton & Boarshill)) - Ref: Q/RZ/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Cumnor (1820) - Ref: PC/332/H/1 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Cumnor (1820) - Ref: PC/332/H/2 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

Cumnor (1820) - Ref: PC/332/H/2 [ View Image(s) ] [ Search Awards Index ]

 

[ Back to parish list ]

 

 


This page was printed from the BRO New Landscapes website on 17/12/2017.